Monday, August 8, 2011

Jardin De Arte

Barcelona:
Capital of Catalonia

Far Eastern city in the north part of Spain, a Costal town on the Mediterranean
Population: 1.62 million with roughly 6.2 million visitors a year.
Speaks Catalan and Spanish
Catalonia is roughly the size of the state of Maryland.
Barcelona is Spain’s second largest city after Madrid.



To go to Barcelona is to experience a European city of cultural wealth, and historical and political importance. It’s a city for the world, and I only spent four days exploring it. Anything that I will say about the city can only be skin deep. But Barcelona allowed me to begin scratching the surface of the political, historical, and cultural environment of Spain. What I will really take away form this first trip to Barcelona was the importance of art and creativity in the city, and how Barcelona cultivates artists.
During my four days I would be captivated by Gaudi’s work. I visited three of his sights La Sagrada Familla, La Pedrera, and Park Guell and I also took in the facade of Casa Batllo. There are even more works by Gaudi scattered around Barcelona and his modernista contemporaries that give Barcelona a motif of inspiration. The structures of Gaudi inspire thought and wonder even if you hate them. They are not paintings behind museum walls that need explanation, they are buildings that people live in, stroll in, or worship in . Structures that anyone can enjoy, but they are fantastical.
My first day, I walked into the hall of Guidi’s La Sagrada Familla, and my life is now different. It filled my mind with memories of my first trip to New York when I was 14. I was changed by the grandeur of Grand Central Station’s Main Concourse. It might sound silly, but as a country boy I had not seen anything like it. Its ceiling still fills me with wonder and hope today. These kinds of experiences, of seeing master works by artist, artisans, or architects are experiences reminiscent of the first time one sees the ocean. An experience where you forget yourself and all you can do is bask in all the wonders of the world. It makes me smile a smile that will never leave me.
It is not surprising to discover that other master artists lived and created in such an inspirational enviorment. I would visit several museums while I was there notably the Muesu Picasso, Museu Nacional d’art de Catalunya, and the Fudacio Joan Miro. What I would take from theses experiences was not only seeing master works, but also how Barcelona appreciates artist. It strives to cultivate their work by showcasing them in institutions that display almost entirely works from Catalonian artist, or pieces produced in Catalina. In Barcelona you have a city that boost its wonderful inspiring works, and promotes the creative impulses of its citizens. It creates a wonderful dichotomy of bring people to art that creates new art from within.
These observations would prove interesting when I would see two plays on my stay in Barcelona. The theatre season does not get in full swing till September when Spaniards return from Holiday. August it seemed is a time for new theatre works to be produced. Both shows were in small black box theatres, but they were packed with locals of all ages. These shows featured Catalan artist, and one was in Catalan the other was mainly music driven. What I was stunned by besides the packed houses, was the publicity. Each show had ads in the metro stations and around town. I got affordable tickets using the Catalan cultural center. It was simple and professional. It made going to the theatre a easy and invigoration activity. These new artist had a captive audience to appreciate there efforts
In four day I simply became familiar with a very large and complicated city, but it showed me art is very much in the conscious of Catalan culture. Barcelona creates an environment to easily access art making it accessible to the masses. Anyone can venture into one of the many museums, or walk by one of Guadi's master works. This attitude brings life to the city, and keeps people coming back. I believe this ultimately leads to economic growth and social development. I hope to do more research if government or private funding plays a role in the art development in Catatlan. I also have to make a return trip to see La Sagrada Famila before I Leave Spain 

PS I will have my own pictures later my camera broken (whap whap)

No comments:

Post a Comment